Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Who You Calling A Nobody?

Today was my daughter's 13th birthday so I let her skip school and took her to the mall. While I was stranded in the hell that is Hollister/Abercrombie/Pac Sun/Aeropostale (e.g. loud music and lots of perfume in the air) I was thankfully able to entertain myself with my iPhone. And, naturally, Twitter. The Washington Post tweeted a link to a story in today's paper about--what else--Twitter, and I admit my nerd sensibilities were completely offended when I got to this part:
"Here's something odd:

There are some non-celebrities who amass giant followings. Thousands of strangers tune in for regular updates of these nobodies' lives."

Nobodies? Wow. I could almost feel the gut punch the collective Twitter elite no doubt felt when they read that.

What I don't understand is this: how can someone find it curious that "non-celebrities" could be as interesting as, or--dare I say it?--more interesting than celebrities on Twitter? Um, Washington Post reporter lady--have you read Britney Spears' tweets? Kim Kardashian's? I personally will stick with the 154 nobodies I'm following, thanks.

No comments: