Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Stranded Evangelists Shouldn't Stay Stranded

I am breathing a sigh of relief today because Harvard Business has a name for what I am--"Stranded Evangelist." Sounds so much nicer than "Bitter," which is how I sometimes feel.

Jamie Notter blogged about this post and added his own tip to the 5 offered in the Harvard blog. I also propose adding another, or maybe it's just an elaboration on point #4: Get Un-stranded. While you may be the only one in your organization who "gets" social media or who is getting paid to be mired in it, there are--for better or for worse--others in your same shoes. Connect with those people. As in, directly--not just by commenting on their blog posts or re-tweeting their stuff. It makes all the difference in the world to have a group of like-minded people who you can both commiserate with and gain strength and knowledge from.

I recently did this--I bit the bullet and joined The Community Roundtable. Rachel Happe--one of the leaders--just wrote an awesome post that connects the whole Stranded Evangelist thing and the notion of "free"--a great read for both association people and community/social media managers.

No comments: