Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Association Social Media #Fail

There's no shortage of buzz about what associations should be doing with regard to social media. Workshops. Webinars. Blogs. Tons of sources of information for crafting social media policies, setting up a Facebook page, using social media in conjunction with events.

Somehow one association seems to have missed all these helpful resources, or else just ignored them. Because surely, had this association partaken of any of the above advice, they would never have dreamed of setting up a Twitter account, locking it, then offering to sell access to journalists for $10 each. Yet, that's exactly what they did.

If it were earlier in the day and/or I was feeling more creative I could probably write a sonnet--or at the very least a dissertation--on the reasons this was wrong, wrong, wrong. But then again, maybe it's a good thing I'm not in that frame of mind because maybe I'm the one who's all wrong. Anyone want to give me a reality check? Because I'm really trying not to be judgemental about this...and failing.

No comments: