Thursday, May 13, 2010

Should You Quit Your Job if the Boss Doesn't "Get" Social Media

The title of this post caught my eye: Is C-suite rejection of social media reason for you to quit?

I actually did quit my job pretty much for this exact reason. If you know me or follow this blog you'll recall I left my job last fall, due in large part to the frustration of being one of the only social media Kool-aid drinkers on staff. You'll also recall that after 3 weeks I realized I'd made a mistake and asked for my job back.

Being a "change agent" isn't fun and it sure isn't easy. Being the one--or one of few--social media believers in a sea of people who would love nothing better than to see this social media "fad" fade into obscurity once and for all, for lack of a better word, sucks. At best your ideas are ignored; at worst, you're subjected to hostile comments from coworkers who don't like that you're pushing for a change in the "way we've always done it."

But should you quit? Maybe. But maybe it's worth sticking it out. Each person has their own level of tolerance and patience--maybe you have it in you to be the person to take your organization to the next level.

Need inspiration? Or a reminder that you're not the only one struggling with this same problem?
Your turn--do you have any words of wisdom to add? How do you know when it's worth it to stick it out versus not worth your time or effort?

No comments: