Friday, July 23, 2010

Facebook Fan Page Notifier

So you manage a Facebook Page? Or several? I'd be willing to bet one of your pet peeves is the lack of Facebook's capability to alert you when someone has posted a comment on your wall or responded to one of your posts. Because Facebook doesn't offer this feature, your only recourse is to obsessively check your page for new posts and comments 24/7.

Or so you thought. Enter Facebook Fan Page Notifier. Now I have to start with the disclaimer that this service is not perfect, so it is not the ultimate solution. But with no other better or even comparable solution, it's far, far better than nothing.

Facebook Fan Page Notifier is a free service that will send you an email when anyone posts on any of your "favourited" Facebook Pages. You can use it to get alerts for any Page, but for this purposes, you just sign up for alerts for the Pages for which you are an admin. And voila--email alerts when someone posts something on your Page(s).

A few caveats: it doesn't work with comments on things you post, which is a drag. Also, it doesn't work flawlessly--I'd say for me it works about 80% of the time, which is 80% better than nothing but not ideal.

But beggars can't be choosers, right? It definitely beats having to just check the page(s) manually ad infinitum, and has helped me catch and squash offensive spam posts several times. Plus, it's free, so what do you have to lose?

Am I missing some app or service that works better for this purpose? If so, please leave a comment. I know Backupify is supposedly adding functionality that will pull both posts to your Page's wall and fan comments on your posts, but I have yet to see them announce that functionality--and also, even when they do offer it, I think it will be more of a pull and archive than an alert. But I could be wrong.

Can I just end this with a comment about the ridiculousness of the fact that even though it's been months since Facebook changed the whole "fan" terminology, that language still pervades when people talk about Facebook? How many people/services still call them "Fan Pages"? How many movie trailers include the language "become a fan of X on Facebook"? MANY. So Facebook, please change it back. Ok, I digress...

No comments: