Wednesday, September 8, 2010

According to AP, Bloggers Are Journalists

Apparently citizen journalists are now just plain old journalists--well, usually unpaid journalists. This from the Associated Press, which announced today that its staff "will recognize bloggers as valid sources of news and credit them in their articles."

They're still one step behind the times, though, because their new stance extends only to blogs, not Facebook status updates or tweets. Seems to me that tweets would be something they'd want to cite as a source, since so much news is broken via Twitter these days.

Not to be like this, but I don't know that I want anyone considering me to be a "valid news source." Part of blogging, to me, means the freedom to answer only to myself. I write what I want to write, if I want to write. Yes, this is probably a half-assed attitude...but that's how I feel.

By the way--and apropos of nothing--did you know this blog is one of the top 100 small business blogs on Technorati now? Number 85 as of today, to be specific.



I don't know that such a designation gets you anywhere in life, but I guess it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

No comments: