Friday, September 24, 2010

The Power of Velma

I love blogging but one thing I'm horrible at is titles for my posts. Which is why when I do a really good one it's particularly satisfying. And it's even more satisfying when I get to revisit a post with a title I was particularly psyched about.

Like "The Power of...Huh", for instance.

Remember that whole fracas?

Like any controversy, The Power of A thing died down quickly and the campaign shifted from being dynamic--a twitterfeed of comments about the campaign and a blog--to off the radar. Shocker.

Now there's a new controversy in town: the power of V. "V" as in Velma Hart, a prominent, kick-ass member of ASAE who recently delivered basically an Oscar-winning speech to President Obama.



Her question has garnered a ton of media attention...yet nary a word from ASAE. And ASAE members are wondering why.

RT @davidgammel: @dinalew @ewengel @cubanalaf @maddiegrant @dinalew That's the Power of V(elma). Yes, why ASAE so quiet. #powerofvless than a minute ago via TweetDeck



RT @dinalew: @ewengel @cubanalaf @maddiegrant @mcnulty6 just had to bring up PofA. Their agcy couldn't buy this amt of coverage! #powerofvless than a minute ago via TweetDeck



Is this a failed PR opportunity on ASAE's part? A failure on the part of their social media engagement strategy? Or not a failure and simply one of those things that falls under steering clear of politically-charged issues?

I can see both sides of it, personally, but I'm falling to the side of missed opportunity. I manage my association's social media presence and if Velma were one of my members, I would have definitely featured her on our Facebook Page and tweeted about her. In my view, this is less a political issue and more of an association community thing e.g. a chance for ASAE to showcase a member doing something cool and noteworthy. But that's just me, and I know our members like seeing one of their peers featured in the media.

What do you think?

No comments: