Sunday, January 16, 2011

How Do You Handle Blog Burnout?

I don't know if it's because of the weather or the fact that I'm busy with work and side projects and secret Facebook groups and family or what, but I'm feeling a weird shift in my feelings about the whole social media thing. A shift which is making continuing this blog seriously hard.

I don't know if this is just standard social media burnout, which I've blogged about before (actually I think I just blogged about it earlier this week too) or something more significant but I'm telling you, I'm grasping at straws to keep this blog up and running lately. Maybe it's because now a big part of my job is managing my organization's blog--maybe that's what happens when you go from doing something you love as a hobby to doing it as a job? Except I don't write much at all for the ASHA blog, and the writing is the main part of blogging that I enjoy.

I don't know...what do you do when you get like this? I blog because I love writing. And the way my mind works, blogging is the only kind of writing I seem to be able to do while simultaneously living the rest of my life: working, taking care of my kids, spending time with my husband, etc. So the idea of shutting down my blogs and writing a book instead doesn't seem like a viable option...and if I were to do that there's no way in hell it would be a book about social media. But at the same time, lately blogging has become less about the enjoyment of the writing and more of a stress for some reason.

But I digress...back to the title of the post...what do you do when you hit a blogging wall like this? Call it a day and sunset the blog? Shift to writing about a different topic? Go back to writing in a journal? Do tell. Please.

No comments: