Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Streamed Out

Google+. Spotify. Google Music. Branchout. BeKnown. Pinterest.

Seriously--how much time is one person supposed to have for online socializing? I am officially tapped out. It was bad enough when it was just Facebook and Twitter--both my own personal accounts and the accounts I manage professionally. Oh, and Linkedin. Now I'm supposed to find time to add Google+ to the mix? And check out Pinterest and all the rest of them. Because that's what you have to do if you're a social media "expert"--right?

I'm no expert but here's one thing I know--there are only 24 hours in a day. Just because Facebook is making billions of dollars doesn't mean that their however many million users (I'm not even going to Google that stat; knock yourself out if you're dying to know) are willing and able to now also spend time on dozens of other, similar sites. Connecting with the same people and sharing the same information. It's not like any of these networks are either/or choices; we're expected to just continue to add profiles on social media sites and to then build our circles or networks or whatever they'll be called and spend time interacting, redundantly, on a daily basis.

Good thing I'm getting ready to go on vacation because honestly, Google+ has tipped the apple cart for me and I find myself just wanting to avoid the computer altogether. Which is not like me at all. Google+, my family thanks you.

No comments: