Friday, August 19, 2011

My New Obsession: Pinterest

Practically every day I hear about a new social networking site. Most of them I just ignore, or do a cursory try just to see what all the hype is about. But seriously--there are only so many hours in a day and, as I've blogged before, I'm well past the point of burnout as far as time spent online "socializing."

But then came Pinterest. Basically Pinterest is "pinning" images you like on different "boards" and seeing what others are pinning. Browsing others boards on Pinterest is like flipping through a magazine. Depending on who you're following, there are lots of home decor and style ideas and just generally pretty pictures. It's relaxing. It's inspiring. And for some reason, addicting. Well, at least for me it is. What's not to like about sharing photos of cute stuff or your dream house or dream wedding or whatever else you dream about or drool over?

For me, it's cute things with big eyes, baby animal videos, movies I love and home decor. I bet you never knew I was a wannabe interior decorator, right? That's the beauty of Pinterest....unlike other social networking sites that are all about how many friends/followers you have, or about sharing links or other not-so-fun stuff, Pinterest allows you to get in touch with your creative side and/or to just zone out and think/share happy thoughts.

But Pinterest doesn't have to be only about fun...businesses are already using it. One of my favorite examples is PediaStaff, who is using it to share speech therapy ideas and resources in a creative, useful, awesome way. I'm sure there are dozens of other examples out there too, and more to come. Who knows...a friend and I may or may not be thinking about an awesome business idea in which Pinterest will be involved....

Happy pinning!





No comments: