Friday, September 30, 2011

Employers are Liking and Hiring Social Media Workers--Except Associations

Yesterday I spoke at Digital East about the challenges and opportunities of association social media. A lot of the information I presented came from ASAE's new report, Benchmarking in Association Management: Social Media. I still need to post my slides (not that they'll be super useful to anyone, as I went all Slide:ology and only used images, which resulted in a furious few hours the night before realizing I wouldn't be able to read from my slides so needed to basically memorize the whole thing) but a few findings from the report:
  • Associations are mostly still in the "information gathering" stage of social media adoption
  • Most (68%) of responding associations have either no staff dedicated to social media or less than 1/2 of a FTE devoted to it
  • While social media staffing in associations is projected to increase over the next year, spending on social media is not budgeted to increase. Go figure.
I couldn't help but think what a stark contrast this is to the non-association world, as portrayed in this recent LA Times article. Contrast, for instance, the association hiring stats above with this quote from the LA Times article:
The number of social media-related jobs on Monster has surged 75% over the last year, O'Reilly said. About 155 positions are available a month, up from an average of 88 a month a year ago.
155 social media positions a month? Wow. Who wants to place bets on when there will be 155 social media positions TOTAL in the association world? I'd say the safe bet would be "not anytime soon."

No comments: