Friday, July 27, 2012

How to Manage Social Employees, Social Media at Events, and Car Talk

Whew, this summer has been way too busy for my liking. This is the first summer I think basically ever where I have no summer vacation planned, and I have to say it's kind of depressing. Before I feel too sorry for myself, I will say that I'm taking some staycation time next week, but with the week being sandwiched between conferences, somehow I'm not feeling the relaxation. Cry me a river, I know ;)

Anyway, I've been woefully neglectful of this blog recently, so figured I'd at least link to my recent post over on Socialfish about managing social media employees. I was inspired by a Harvard Business Review blog post, How to Manage Your Smartest, Strangest Employee, and thought that the same advice could be given for social business-related employees.

Aside from that blog post, I've mostly been just working and gearing up for a busy (for me) travel schedule. I just returned from Louisville, KY from the Council of Engineering and Scientific Society Executives annual meeting where I presented with Maddie Grant and Jim Doherty of the Austin CVB about using social media before/during/after events. I have to say that the meeting was awesome, even though it's plenty hot and humid enough in DC; I could have done without Kentucky heat and humidity. And of course there will be more where that came from in a few weeks when I head to Dallas to ASAE's annual meeting where I'll once again be presenting, this time as part of Under the Hood: "Car Talk" Takes on Association Publishing. For someone who hates public speaking, I sure seem to be doing a lot of it lately. Don't know whether that's good or bad. I guess I'll go with good, as I think I'm starting to hate it a tiny bit less, and have met some cool people and been part of some great discussions before, during and after presentations.


So that's all that's new with me--other than the totally unrelated but very disturbing news that my former swim coach was molesting a girl I used to swim with. In case you don't know that about me, I used to be a competitive swimmer and swam for Curl swim club--for that coach, and with that girl--from the time I was 8 until I went to college. I know, totally unrelated but I have to say it's surreal to read a story like this on the front page of the paper and think "I totally knew that girl, and remember the rumors that something was going on between them"--which I do. 






No comments: