Friday, October 26, 2012

Why You Shouldn't Redirect Your Blog to a New Domain

A few weeks ago, with much fanfare and angst, I launched my new website MaggieMcGary.com. Read that post if you care why, that way I don't have to re-hash it here. I then learned the ins and outs of editing DNS records, changing and screwing up RSS feeds, and all kind of fun stuff. Finally got it all squared away...only to realize that now any blog post or website that linked to a post I'd written on this blog resulted in a broken link because, while I know how to edit a DNS record, I don't know and don't really care to spend the time to find out how to make it so all the links also redirect--if there even is such a thing.

So guess what? I undid the redirect. Now I have two, redundant-ish sites, but hopefully the link problem has been fixed.

I'm still learning the ins and outs of blogging on Squarespace 6, and I'm also swamped at work so not really blogging much for fun anyway, but when/if I do find time to blog, it will most likely be over there. So if the thought of missing my scintillating posts fills you with dread, you might want to subscribe to the new blog.

I gotta say, I'm definitely a creature of habit and I miss the clunky ease of blogging on Blogger.

See you on the flip side!

No comments: