Thursday, June 17, 2010

Women and Salary Negotiation

I saw someone talking about this post on Twitter and went to read it for myself because I wasn't sure what all the fuss was about. Turns out padding your salary when a potential employer asks what you're making is such bad advice--for women--that Dailyworth had to retract the post.

Seriously? I think that's utter BS. The last thing women need is another reason to be namby-pamby about salary negotiation. Notice that it's perfectly acceptable for a recruiter to offer what the woman is currently making--what's up with that? You're telling me men routinely accept job offers for no more than their current salary?

Here's the reality: it's 2010 and women still make only $.77 per $1 that men make for comparable jobs. If what it takes to close that gap is a little harmless exaggeration I say who does it hurt? An employer should be offering a salary commensurate with the worth of the job they're hiring for, not basing it on a past job anyway.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: