Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Do Your Videos Get 10 Million Views?

In case you didn't already know this about me, I have two kids--a 12 year-old son and a 14 year-old daughter. One of their favorite things to do is watch stupid videos on YouTube--videos they hear about from their friends on Facebook (yes, I know you're supposed to be 14 to be on Facebook but many, many under 14 kids are on Facebook...is yours? If so, I hope you're monitoring what they're saying on there...but that's another post for another day). Watching what interests my kids and their friends gives me a new appreciation for what kinds of videos get a ton of views. The answer? Not the kind I make.

Now don't get me wrong: I have no illusions that I have any video-making talent whatsoever. Blogging=maybe; videos=not so much. But I occasionally try to venture into video-making territory, just to mix it up. The result? Such greats as "Twitter in Real Life" (warning: language) and "Old Spice is Cool Now?." You know, quality stuff like that. Because that's how I roll.

But I realize I'm doing it wrong--both making videos and creating content on the internet in general. I've been blogging religiously for over five years now and get, what, maybe 150 page views a day? If that. And that's taken 5 years of blood, sweat and tears to achieve--or at least billions of hours spent online, much to the non-amusement of my husband and kids.

According to the internet, this is the kind of content that people actually like:




Almost TEN MILLION views?!

I think I need to find a new hobby.

No comments: