Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Why I Know the Kardashian Wedding Was a Sham

The beauty of having your own blog is that you can blog about whatever you want, whether or not it's on topic. So, while technically this blog is about social media, who's to say I can't blog about Kim Kardashian's divorce? Nobody! So here I go.

If you read this blog you know I'm obsessed with movies. I go to the movies usually at least once a week, plus watch a decent number of them at home. What you may not know is that I'm a particular fan of documentaries--much to the chagrin of my husband and kids, who are not fans. Pretty much doesn't matter the subject matter is--I just like them. Even though I am a fast food indulger, I loved Super Size Me (makes me crave McDonald's food every single time I watch it--go figure). So when I heard a while ago that Morgan Spurlock was making a new film about product placement, I couldn't wait to see it. Sadly I missed it in the theater, but luckily it's now at Redbox.

By the way, I'm getting to the Kardashian part...this is relevant.

So anyway, a few weeks ago I watched--and loved--The Greatest Movie Ever Sold. I loved it because I like knowing how things work behind the scenes and, as you know if you read this blog, I like to know when I'm being sold to. Don't get me wrong--I'm a marketer's dream and buy a ton of stuff, but I like to know when I'm being marketed to. That's why I'm rabid about transparency and disclosure when it comes to blogging. If you haven't seen The Greatest Movie Ever Sold, I highly recommend it.

So onto the Kardashian part. Yes, I watch Keeping up with the Kardashians and every spin-off show they spew out. Hey--I have a 15 year-old daughter and she watches it--it's her fault! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the Kardashians are the epitome of product placement and non-disclosure. I mean, who could forget the whole $10k per tweet thing, totally undisclosed and totally untouched by the FTC, despite their regulations? Is it really such a mystery that the whole Kardashian empire is about product placement--some disclosed and some not? While I suspected that the whole wedding thing was just a big commercial and the actual marriage would last mere months, I chided myself for being jaded and figured I'd be proven wrong.

But I wasn't. If you watched the two-hour wedding show--not to mention the several part Bora Bora episodes leading up to the wedding--you could tell the whole thing was fake and just a mechanism for raking in some huge bucks via product placement. The Bora Bora trip? Basically a commercial for the Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa. You think they paid for that trip? Please. Then the $10 million wedding. I know I don't have to tell you that they not only didn't have to spend a dime of that $10 million, but MADE money off the deal to boot, right?

So seriously--the whole thing was just a ruse to add to the Kardashian's already crazy making-money-for-doing-nothing lifestyle....as reported by my trusty Us Magazine, Kim Kardashian brought in $65 million in 2010 alone off product endorsements. So sanctity of marriage my ass--the marriage we're all so shocked is over after only 72 days (and yes, even though I called it, I admit I, too, was shocked to hear I was actually right and they were already divorcing) was never a real marriage to begin with; it was one huge, very lucrative real-life commercial.

Oh, and be forewarned...apparently the younger Kardashian girls are all set to step into their big sisters' ways....Kendall's sweet 16 party will be paid for--I mean broadcast on E!


No comments: